This week’s box is one we’ve been looking forward to for a while – it’s a pizza box! When we started the farm in 2009 the concept of a “pizza farm” was on our minds, and was in part what led us to grow wheat. This week we have an assortment of some amazing pizza toppings and ingredients: sweet and hot peppers, onions, eggplant, garlic, parsley (even collard greens), and also whole wheat flour for homemade dough. The flour in your share has been freshly milled from this season’s wheat harvest. We hope you’ll make a pizza at home – although ratatouille would be another great option with this week’s bounty. We also hope you’ll join us this week at our CSA member potluck on Tuesday, August 16 of this week (we’ll be serving up pizzas, of course!).
This week’s box:
- Collard Greens (sautéed or as a “dough” for a mini gluten-free pizza!)
- Chinese Cabbage (it’s young – use it fresh in a salad or quickly steamed)
- Sweet Peppers
- Cayenne Peppers
- Whole Wheat Flour (2 cups; freshly milled from this season’s harvest!)
In the fields to pick:
- Husk Cherries
- Shishito Peppers
- “Lunchbox” Peppers (cute mini sweet peppers, located between the husk cherries and the shishitos)
- Herb Garden
This week's recipe:
There are many out there, and they’re all pretty similar, here’s an example of one we like to use at the farm. Most dough recipes call for sugar, and we often substitute in honey. We’ve also found that that adding freshly chopped herbs (thyme, oregano, sage) right into the dough is an amazing way to add flavor, texture, and beautiful color to your dough!
This week’s fruit share:
- Yellow peaches and Zestar apples from Briermere Farms
This week’s rotating bread share:
- Dark Beer Bread: Carissa’s dark beer bread is baked using a rich, flavorful, and milky beer called Guardsman Stout, which is crafted by our local Montauk Brewing Company. The creamy stout lends its distinct flavor to the one-and-one-half pound loaves, which sell out weekly at the Montauk Farmers Market. Other ingredients include bread flour, molasses, salt, and yeast.
This week’s rotating cheese share:
- Peconic Bel from Catapano Goat Dairy