This is a box we are so excited about! It is an exciting time of year for us as more things are ready for harvest each week, so this box contains a nice variety of items – including new appearances by celery and white onions. These are two vegetables that may seem run-of-the-mill, but we think you’ll be surprised by the intensity of each of their flavors, especially the celery, which is more pungent than anything you’d find at the store. Try the celery and parsley chopped up in a summer salad like lobster salad, chicken salad, corn salad or wheat berry salad.
This week’s box:
- Swiss chard
- White Onion
To pick in the field:
- Herb Garden
This week's recipes:
- Swiss Chard Gratin - use the white onion in your box instead of leeks!
- Green Cucumber + Mint Gazpacho - grab some mint in the herb garden + substitute the yellow pepper for one green or yellow summer zucchini
- Our celery is so flavorful, it is worthwhile to use the whole plant. Check out these six ways to use celery leaves!
This week’s rotating cheese share:
- Mecox Sunrise from Mecox Bay Dairy
This week’s fruit share:
- Blueberries and gooseberries
This week’s rotating bread share:
- Sourdough: Carissa’s one-and-one-half pound sourdough loaf is made using a natural rising agent first cultured in Amagansett in 1968. The starter is combined with bread flour, salt, and water, then given days to reach maximum flavor and peak fermentation before.