It’s finally chilly out there! So much so that our coolers feel like warmers, since they’re warmer than the outside air temperature. In between CSA harvest days we’re making great progress cover cropping our fields and cleaning up the barns and greenhouses for winter, we’re aiming to be completely cleaned up and closed down by Thanksgiving! This time of year is also when our food pantries start serving more local families, so we, like many other local farms, support those efforts by making pantry deliveries a couple times each week. If this is a program you’d like to help support, let us know!
Like all our fall boxes, there are a lot of greens this week! We’re loving the mustard greens as a “bed” under roasted chicken or fish. If you’ve had your fill of salads and sautés, remember you can always use fall greens (the ovation mix is a great contender) as the base for a fall greens pesto (recipe below) that is great on pasta or as a dip for your favorite chips/veggies/crackers/snacks!
This week’s box:
- Swiss Chard
- Ovation Greens Mix
- Mustard Greens
- Cabbage (great shredded as a topping for fall fish tacos or veggie quesadillas)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Pickles! (made from our own cucumbers this summer)
- Delicata Squash
In the fields to pick:
- Herb Garden
- Cosmos (hanging on until the frist frost…)
This week’s fruit share:
- Apples and Pears from Briermere Farms
This week’s bread share:
- Classic Loaf from Carissa's Breads: Carissa's signature two-pound loaf is made with locally grown whole wheat flour, which is milled just before baking, then blended with bread flour, salt, water, and yeast.
This week’s cheese share:
- Chevre from Catapano Dairy
This week's recipes: