This week’s box is a true collision of summer and fall, which is what the fields feel like right now. Radishes, turnips, sweet potatoes, and cutting greens are thriving while in nearby fields we’re removing tomato stakes, mowing zucchini and other spent summer crops, and turning the soil over to prepare for winter cover crops. For those of you joining us for the “Columbus Day” share, we hope you enjoy this last box of the season! For those of you who are staying with us through Thanksgiving, there are still six more weeks ahead of delicious, ever-sweetening produce due to the decreasing temperatures we’ll see in the next month.
For the last seven years we’ve marked the conclusion of the CSA season with our Oktoberfeast Party, which is easily our favorite among the many events we host at the farm each year. This year’s feast doesn’t mark the end of the season, since we’ve extended the CSA through Thanksgiving, but it still functions as a celebration of the great year we’ve had so far. This event brings our CSA community together to share a meal comprised of the best of what’s produced by not only our farm, but also our friends on neighboring farms, including Quail Hill Farm, Balsam Farms, Mecox Bay Dairy, The Milk Pail, and Briermere Farms. As you can imagine, we and the crew spend nearly all of our daylight hours working, hurrying, and generally pushing hard through the farming season. Inviting our friends, families, and neighbors to join us for a meal at the farm is one of the most gratifying ways to reflect upon the season, and for us farmers to see the farm as a place of pleasure and leisure – if only for a few hours! We hope you’ll join us for this year’s feast!
This week’s box:
- Hakurei Turnips
- Ovation Greens Mix (for salad or quick steam)
- Sweet Peppers
- New England Pie Pumpkin (decorative but also deliciously edible)
- Sweet Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts
This week's recipes:
In the fields to pick:
- Shishito Peppers (they’re all red now! But still sweet, give them a try)
- Lunchbox Peppers
- Herb Garden
This week’s cheese share:
- Fresh Mozzarella from Villa Italian Specialties in East Hampton
This week’s fruit share:
- Apples and pears from Briermere Farms
This week’s bread share:
- Honey Oat Loaf from Carissa’s Breads: Carissa’s one-and-one-half pound honey oat loaf is baked with bread flour, freshly milled locally grown oats, rolled oats, local honey, oil, salt, water, and yeast. Each loaf is washed with a combination of egg, cream, salt, and honey, then topped with additional oats before baking.